Senior Manager of Polymer Synthesis
Twelve is a new kind of chemical company built for the climate era. Our breakthrough technology eliminates emissions by turning CO2 into essential products. We are a team of scientists, engineers and problem solvers on a mission to fundamentally shift the way the world addresses climate change and lead the transition to a fossil free future with our carbon transformation technology.
This role will be integral to the technical performance advancement at Twelve. We are developing innovative materials and processes to establish Twelve as a world leader in carbon transformation. You will be working in a collaborative and fluid startup environment. As the Senior Manager of Polymer Synthesis, you are responsible for managing a team of polymer chemists and engineers, as well as conducting advanced research into new materials and the customization of each application. The abilities to lead and manage teams, develop and communicate technical strategies, generate compelling ideas, and push for their implementation are all key parts of this role. You should have relevant education and required skills, demonstrate strategic thinking, be highly motivated to succeed, be able to learn and adopt new concepts, and be capable of handling the ambiguity and the inherent uncertainties that come with advanced material research and development.
What you will do
- Lead the development of new polymer materials as well as their synthetic strategies
- Work with the process development group to enable the scale up of novel polymer materials for company objectives
- Provide team leadership through effective communication, collaboration, training, coaching and development of team members
- Ensure your teammates have the resources they need to excel at their jobs by building and maintaining processes, systems, and infrastructure that help the polymer group function efficiently
- Partner with cross-functional teams to advance new products and solve technical problems towards commercialization and company objectives
- Independently summarize and interpret results and application data to build unique scientific knowledge around novel materials
- Draft proposals for both government and private funding agencies and coordinate with cross-functional teams to ensure their progress
- Author technical reports, government grant progress reports, and present technical results to internal and external audiences
Who you are
- Ph.D degree in Polymer Chemistry, Materials Science, Chemical Engineering or a related STEM field
- Have a deep understanding of polymer science including polymer synthesis, functional groups, structure-property relationships, characterization, etc.
- Industrial management and team building experience with a team of 3+ scientists, as well as strong technical leadership
- Experience in ion-conducting polymers for electrochemical applications
- Experience or knowledge in chemical processing and scale up
- Demonstrate strategic thinking
- Ability to gauge the adequacy of scientific data while applying sound logic to assess other associate’s conclusions for plausibility
- Ability to partner with business development and other cross-functional teams on goals and deliverables
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills, high attention to detail, and strong organizational skills
- Medical, dental, and vision coverage
- Paid sick days and vacation
- Competitive salary and equity compensation commensurate with experience
- Diverse and inclusive work environment
We believe that the unique contributions of each individual is the driver of our success. To make sure that our products and culture continue to incorporate everyone's perspectives and experience we never discriminate on the basis of race, religion, national origin, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, or marital, veteran, or disability status.