Director - Utility Business Development (Midwest + Northeast)
The future of transportation is electric and our software solves the most critical emerging grid integration challenges to ensure that the impending energy transition is clean, equitable, and resilient. Our enterprise solutions help the grid absorb the coming electrification wave with ease. Utilizing modern, cloud-native platform architecture and robust systems optimization, WeaveGrid’s software is built from the ground up to tackle the most critical network challenges while meeting the stringent regulatory, security, and reliability requirements of the utility industry.
About the role
A successful Director of Utility Business Development will be an expert in consultative enterprise sales and directly responsible for bringing in new business from electric utilities. You’ll own the sales process from top-of-funnel through closing deals. You’ll identify leads, develop connections, scope projects, negotiate terms, and drive through the close of a contract. In addition to day-to-day business development, your work may encompass business research, supporting internal sales operations, and leading client relationships in coordination with a growing go-to-market team.
- Own key accounts for some of the largest utilities in the Northeast and Midwest with high priority projects and EV programs
- Develop new leads for prospective clients among major utilities and inform regional priorities
- Own and grow relationships with utility leaders, including executives and team leaders focused on electric vehicles, distributed energy strategy, grid planning, and operations teams
- Exercise indirect influence to keep projects moving in a timely and efficient manner
- Drive scoping discussions with utilities to balance stakeholder needs, internally and externally, and close deals that achieve both scale and rapid execution
- Work closely with policy counterparts on regulatory engagement (e.g. filings to active dockets with a public utility commission) to develop the market in target states across the Northeast and Midwest
- Craft formal project proposals, presentation slides, and other tools to enhance your Sales activities
- Negotiate term sheets and contracts through final signatures
- Support project management to smoothly transition new contracts into implementation
- Coordinate with fellow associates on sales process improvements, product development, regulatory and policy goals, and competitive landscape
- Special projects and other duties as designated by your manager or assigned designee
First and foremost, you’re mission-driven and fully dedicated to driving solutions for our climate crisis. You’re excited about supporting a world with 100% clean transportation, while maintaining high grid reliability. You know that’s no small order, and have developed a strong feeling that electric utilities are the best partner to make this vision a reality. You have experience with key players at electric utilities, and developed a deep sense for their needs and the hurdles they must face in modernizing the grid.
For you, “business development” goes beyond selling a widget and pushing to close anything you find. When you sell, you’re eager to build collaborations and shared value, while fully embracing the complexities of successful execution. You value being realistically optimistic and finding creative solutions to drive a deal to completion quickly, while staying honest with yourself about what makes a program the best fit for our product. You want to grow and leverage WeaveGrid’s positive reputation in our industry by building connections and creating a long track record of success. You’ve enjoyed working in a fast-paced environment at a high-growth company, while demonstrating a high degree of empathy for clients and team members across departments.
To meet the needs of this role, you will bring
- Demonstrated track record of empathy, individual initiative, a spirit of inquiry, and solutions-orientation
- Experience with enterprise-scale utility sales and contracting
- Domain expertise through industry experience in electric mobility and/or electric utilities
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Strong interpersonal skills and excellent work ethic
- Attention to detail and ability to function effectively under time pressure
- Ability to work with diverse teams and translate between various areas of expertise
- Flexibility and willingness to take on a variety of tasks in response to immediate needs
- Comfort with remote collaboration tools. Travel required, when appropriate in accordance with health guidelines
Required to reside in the Central or Eastern time zones with access to a well-connected airport.
- At least 5 years of full-time sales/business development experience
- Successful track record of building partnerships with electric utilities OR selling enterprise software
- BA/BS, or equivalent experience, required. Masters, or equivalent experience, preferred
The total compensation for this opportunity includes a base salary range of $140,000-$175,000 plus equity (stock options) and benefits. This is our target compensation range and is subject to multiple factors including role, level, experience, and location. As you go through our interview process, our recruiter will work with you to identify a competitive base salary within the proposed range and combine it with an equity package to get you excited about your future at WeaveGrid.