System Engineer, Electric Propulsion
ZeroAvia is a leader in zero-emission aviation, flying the world's largest hydrogen-electric aircraft since September 2020. Its focus is the design and commercialization of hydrogen-powered aviation solutions to address a variety of markets, initially targeting short-haul, sub-regional commercial flights up to 500 miles.
To date, ZeroAvia has secured the UK CAA and FAA experimental permit to fly for its 6-seat aircraft powered by hydrogen-electric powertrain, passed significant flight tests, and is on track for commercial deliveries by 2023. Its achievements to date were rewarded by the UK prime minister by inviting ZeroAvia as a member to the UK Jet Zero Council.
ZeroAvia’s powertrain development focuses on integrating hydrogen storage tanks, fuel cell systems, and electric motors, delivering a solution that will be not only without carbon emissions but also cheaper to operate. Commercializing the solution requires the establishment of a new clean aviation ecosystem, encompassing hydrogen production from renewable energy sources and tackling public perception of safety.
- Design and analyze powertrain and production systems for fuel cell and electric propulsion products
- Ensure compliance with regulatory requirements such as 14 CFR 25.1309, DO-178, DO-254, and FAA regulatory compliance
- Conduct safety assessments, fault hazard analysis, and single/multiple failure analysis
- Develop requirements for aerospace systems and hardware, and perform operational and functional analysis
- Verify and validate hardware and software components for space systems
- Develop and maintain Interface Control Documents (ICDs) for complex space and ground architectures
- Support subsystem and vehicle-level integration and test campaigns, mentor junior engineers, and support new business pursuits
- Work with customers, ZeroAvia Leadership, and Software & Systems Engineers to translate high-level customer requirements into specific work packages and detailed hardware & software requirements
Experience and Qualifications
- Bachelor's or Master's degree in Electrical Engineering or relevant
- 4+ years of experience as a System Engineer, preferably in aerospace
- Proficiency in Model-Based Systems Engineering and developing models
- Knowledge and experience in aviation-related system safety analysis methods
- Experience in system engineering involving system requirements, functional decomposition, and allocation, integrated design, analysis, and evaluation, and verification.
- Familiarity with compliance requirements under 14 CFR 25.1309, and experience in Development Assurance: ARP4754A, and AC20-174
- Hands-on experience applying aviation-related system safety analysis methods such as System Safety Risk Assessments, Fault-tree Analysis (FTA), Functional Hazard
Diversity and Inclusion
ZeroAvia is an equal opportunity employer and as a young company in the aviation industry, we value diversity and need people of different backgrounds that bring a plethora of skills, perspectives, and mindsets to the table that can spur originality, imagination, and creativity.
We do not discriminate based on race, religion, color, national origin, sex, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Pay Transparency Statement
The wage scale or salary range for this position is between $120,000 - $160,000. In addition to the foregoing base compensation, additional compensation and benefits are available to employees and eligible family members (as applicable) including the following:
- Bonus: Annual discretionary bonuses.
- Equity: Ability to exercise company stock options
- Retirement: Eligible to participate in the company's 401(k) Plan, with up to a 4% matching
- Health Insurance: Employer covers up to 80% of the employee's monthly premiums on medical, dental, and vision.
- Life Insurance: Basic Life/AD&D of up to $50,000 and the option to add on Supplemental Coverage.
- Short-Term Disability: Up to 60% of your earnings for up to a period of 24 weeks.
- Long-Term Disability: If your disability extends beyond 180 days, LTD Coverage for up to 60% of your earnings.
- Paid Time Off: Eligible employees may accrue up to 120 hours per year (15 days) and may borrow up to 40 hours (5 days).
- Sick Time: Eligible employees may accrue up to 40 hours, per year (5 days)
- Paid Holidays: 12 observed holidays, per calendar year
- The Fly Club: up to $2,000 of reimbursement towards flying lessons to all full-time staff
Please note, among other factors, the compensation offered may vary based on work location, experience, qualifications, specialties, training, and then-current market and business considerations