Structure Motor Design Engineer
ZeroAvia is a leader in zero-emission aviation, flying the world's largest hydrogen-electric aircraft since September 2020. Its focus is the design and commercialization of hydrogen-powered aviation solutions to address a variety of markets, initially targeting short-haul, sub-regional commercial flights up to 500 miles. To date, ZeroAvia has secured the UK CAA and FAA experimental permit to fly for its 6-seat aircraft powered by hydrogen-electric powertrain, passed significant flight tests, and is on track for commercial deliveries by 2023. Its achievements to date were rewarded by the UK prime minister by inviting ZeroAvia as a member to the UK Jet Zero Council.
ZeroAvia’s powertrain development focuses on integrating hydrogen storage tanks, fuel cell systems, and electric motors, delivering a solution that will be not only without carbon emissions but also cheaper to operate. Commercializing the solution requires the establishment of a new clean aviation ecosystem, encompassing hydrogen production from renewable energy sources and tackling public perception of safety.
- Detailed analysis of motor structure including shaft, bearing, housing, mounting point, gearbox
- Detailed fatigue and damage tolerance analysis of motor structures within the propulsion system and airframe structure
- Supporting configuration development and trade studies
- Improving analysis capabilities such as creating process automation tools for model creation, strength checks, and analysis report generation
- Collaborating with designers and structural analysts in structural analysis best practices
- Identification of opportunities for safety improvements and operational cost savings
- Interface with technical leaders across the company on a broad array of structural analysis topics to implement analysis methods, requirements, and policy
- Maintain and report on activity schedule, budget and technical status
- Review and support certification activities, including but not limited to:
- Creating, reviewing and supporting approval of ground test procedures, flight test procedures and their corresponding test reports.
- Supporting Component Drawing Reviews applied to the propulsion system and motor
- Supporting Possess Awareness of Component Qualification Test Plans, Qualification Test Procedures and Qualification Test Reports.
- Completing motor assembly and installation drawing reviews.
Experience and Qualifications
- Demonstrated experience in mechanical structure design applied to the electric motor
- Experience in finite element modelling and analysis codes.
- Experience and knowledge of engine static strength analysis methods, finite element analysis, and strain life fatigue methods
- Knowledge of maintenance and repair practices used in the aerospace industry
- Proficiency on load and fatigue analysis applied for Propulsion system and mainly to electric motor, shaft, gear box, bearing
- Experience in stress analysis of metallic structure/frame
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills
- Experience with structural analysis methods and repair principles (fatigue and corrosion, stress analysis, statics, materials strength, material characteristics, repair techniques, damage tolerance methods used in maintenance programs)
- Experience in MatLab/Simulink
Diversity and Inclusion
ZeroAvia is an equal opportunity employer and as a young company in the aviation industry, we value diversity and need people of different backgrounds that bring a plethora of skills, perspectives, and mindsets to the table that can spur originality, imagination, and creativity. We do not discriminate based on race, religion, colour, national origin, sex, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status or disability status.
Pay Transparency Statement
The wage scale or salary range for this position is between $ 100,000 - $150,000. In addition to the foregoing base compensation, additional compensation and benefits are available to employees and eligible family members (as applicable) including the following:
- Bonus: Annual discretionary bonuses.
- Equity: Ability to exercise company stock options
- Retirement: Eligible to participate in the company's 401(k) Plan, with up to a 4% matching
- Health Insurance: Employer covers up to 80% of the employee's monthly premiums on medical, dental, and vision.
- Life Insurance: Basic Life/AD&D of up to $50,000 and the option to add on Supplemental Coverage.
- Short Disability: Up to 60% of your earnings for up to a period of 24 weeks.
- Long-Term Disability: If your disability extends beyond 180 days, LTD Coverage for up to 60% of your earnings.
- Paid Time Off: Eligible employees may accrue up to 120 hours per year (15 days) and may borrow up to 40 hours (5 days).
- Sick Time: Eligible employees may accrue up to 40 hours, per year (5 days)
- Paid Holidays: 12 observed holidays, per calendar year.
Please note, among other factors, the compensation offered may vary based on work location, experience, qualifications, specialties, training, and then-current market and business considerations