Thermal Motor Design Engineer
ZeroAvia is a leader in zero-emission aviation, flying the world's largest hydrogen-electric aircraft since September 2020. Its focus is the design and commercialization of hydrogen-powered aviation solutions to address a variety of markets, initially targeting short-haul, sub-regional commercial flights up to 500 miles. To date, ZeroAvia has secured the UK CAA and FAA experimental permit to fly for its 6-seat aircraft powered by hydrogen-electric powertrain, passed significant flight tests, and is on track for commercial deliveries by 2024. Its achievements to date were rewarded by the UK prime minister by inviting ZeroAvia as a member to the UK Jet Zero Council.
ZeroAvia’s powertrain development focuses on integrating hydrogen storage tanks, fuel cell systems, and electric motors, delivering a solution that will be not only without carbon emissions but also cheaper to operate. Commercializing the solution requires the establishment of a new clean aviation ecosystem, encompassing hydrogen production from renewable energy sources and tackling public perception of safely.
- Develop thermal and fluid distribution networks 1D & 3D models for electric machine thermal management and lubrication
- Analyze and verify preliminary and detailed designs with analytical calculations and/or numerical (FEA/CFD)
- Develop processes to incorporate experimental and analytical techniques in product design and testing
- Perform lab tests including selecting test equipment, collecting and processing data
- Correlate and refine models using tested data
- Collaborate with other team members of the engineering staff to support equipment and system design efforts
- Ensure timely completion of project deliverables including designs, analyses and other documentation design, qualification, and certification
- Perform a variety of tasks, lead and/or support development activities
- Participate in suppliers' meetings as needed
- Design packages – detailed drawings, analysis reports, BOMs, assembly instructions
Experience and Qualifications
- Demonstrated experience in mechanical structure design applied to the electric motor
- Experience in finite element modelling and analyses codes
- Experience and knowledge of engine static strength analysis methods, finite element analysis, and strain life fatigue methods
- Knowledge of maintenance and repair practices used in the aerospace industry
- Proficiency in load and fatigue analysis applied to the Propulsion systems and mainly to electric motors, shafts, gearbox, bearing
- Experience in stress analysis of metallic structure/frame
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills
- Experience with structural analysis methods and repair principles (fatigue and corrosion, stress analysis, statics, materials strength, material characteristics, repair techniques, damage tolerance methods used in maintenance programs)
- Experience in MatLab/Simulink
Diversity and Inclusion
ZeroAvia is an equal opportunity employer and as a young company in the aviation industry, we value diversity and need people of different backgrounds that bring a plethora of skills, perspectives, and mindsets to the table that can spur originality, imagination, and creativity. We do not discriminate based on race, religion, colour, national origin, sex, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status or disability status.
Pay Transparency Statement
The wage scale or salary range for this position is between $ 100,000 - $160,000. In addition to the foregoing base compensation, additional compensation and benefits are available to employees and eligible family members (as applicable) including the following:
- Bonus: Annual discretionary bonuses.
- Equity: Ability to exercise company stock options
- Retirement: Eligible to participate in the company's 401(k) Plan, with up to a 4% matching
- Health Insurance: Employer covers up to 80% of the employee's monthly premiums on medical, dental, and vision.
- Life Insurance: Basic Life/AD&D of up to $50,000 and the option to add on Supplemental Coverage.
- Short Disability: Up to 60% of your earnings for up to a period of 24 weeks.
- Long-Term Disability: If your disability extends beyond 180 days, LTD Coverage for up to 60% of your earnings.
- Paid Time Off: Eligible employees may accrue up to 120 hours per year (15 days) and may borrow up to 40 hours (5 days).
- Sick Time: Eligible employees may accrue up to 40 hours, per year (5 days)
- Paid Holidays: 12 observed holidays, per calendar year.
Please note, among other factors, the compensation offered may vary based on work location, experience, qualifications, specialties, training, and then-current market and business considerations